Wednesday 9 April 2014

Paint it black?

OK, so I know what models I want to paint, now I have to decide what colour scheme to choose.

As previously mentioned, I like the look of the classic green/brown World War 2 camouflage look.

I'm guessing this colour scheme should be quite straightforward as 90% of the model seems to be the same colour. That's a good thing for someone like me!


As I'm still a total novice painter I really prefer to follow a painting tutorial as a reference. This will prevent things going seriously wrong. After a little searching around I found the following painting guide.

It’s a tutorial on how to paint a large amount of guardsmen using an airbrush. Now I’m not too keen investing in an airbrush just yet, but I do like the finished look.

It uses Games Workshop’s paints which is a bonus as I already have a few from my Warriors of Chaos army. A base coat of Camo Green (or Ellysian Green as it’s now known) is applied first. Games Workshop don’t sell coloured sprays (apart from Black, White and Ultramarine Blue), but I did find a close match with The Army Painters Army Green.

The finished product using the above tutorial:



Using this method, my shopping list looks like this:
Army Green spray
Balor Brown
Castellan Green
Mournfang Brown (already own)
Kislev Flesh
Leadbelcher (already own)
Nuln Oil (already own)

Not too bad. It will certainly give me a good place to start with my army. I’m still not 100% certain about the camouflage pattern. Might need to do some testing on the actual models before deciding.

Time to break out the credit card!

3 comments:

  1. The regular green patterned camo is a great look for the Guard. I actually think it'll look better applied with a brush for sharper edges.

    You could always try a flecktarn camo pattern by painting your camo pattern with a regular brush, then, with a stiff brush not too laden with paint, draw the brush off the edge of a thick piece of card to flick the paint onto the model (you'll need to use fairly thick paint here and apply sparingly to the model). I would also add a wash to the face as part of that tutorial just to add some depth as currently those faces look really flat.

    Gotrek

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea. I've also seen a colour scheme where it was standard green uniform with irregular blocks of black, with smaller orange shapes in the middle.

    Sounds a bit garish but it looked surprisingly good.

    The traditional way of doing flesh (flesh paint + flesh wash) always makes the model look really tanned and orange. I want them to look a little pale so I'm thinking flesh paint as above but then a REALLY watered down black/grey wash to pick out the facial details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds great. Yeah, I know what you mean about tanned skin tones.

    ReplyDelete